Pasifika Women’s Alliance Inc. (PWA) is a culturally diverse network consisting of women who have migrated to Australia from 22 Pacific Island countries and territories.
These countries include (and are not limited to): American Samoa, Cook Islands, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), Fiji, French Polynesia, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Pitcairn Islands, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu and Wallis & Futuna.
The objectives of PWA include:
- To be a voice on women’s issues, challenges and strengths to local, state and federal governments for all Pacific Islander women who have made Australia their home;
- To support women to be better leaders in the wider community;
- Have healthier and stronger families;
- Maintain their diverse cultural heritage for future generations;
- Bridge the gap between generations and;
- Develop ways to find balance between the cultures of the Pacific and the mainstream Australian culture.
PWA Board Members
The Alliance is currently run by Pacific Islander women who have volunteered their time to create the women’s group. Many are employed in services for the wider community and are also involved in their individual Pacific Islander (PI) cultural communities. The 2019/20 PWA Annual General Meeting saw the following individuals take on the respective positions:
President: Iree Chow
Vice-President: Malo Semaia
Secretary: Sarai Tafa
Treasurer: Nicole Alexander
Board members: Cassaundra Rangip, Ysabelle Mellam & Heena Akbar
We take this opportunity to thank the outgoing PWA board and sub-committee members for the contributions made to make 2019 another successful year for PWA. We reflect on the great achievements as well as all the learning opportunities that have been presented to assist us in building more engaged, interconnected and flourishing communities through supporting our women.
We look forward to serving our communities in 2020!
– – –