Pasifika Women’s Alliance Inc. (PWA) is a culturally diverse network consisting of women who have migrated to Australia from 22 Pacific Island countries and territories.
These countries include (and are not limited to): American Samoa, Cook Islands, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), Fiji, French Polynesia, Guam, Kiribati, Marchall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Pitcairn Islands, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu and Wallis & Futuna.
The objectives of PWA include:
- To be a voice on women’s issues, challenges and strengths to local, state and federal governments for all Pacific Islanders women who have made Australia their home;
- To support women to be better leaders in the wider community;
- Have healthier and stronger families;
- Maintain their diverse cultural heritage for future generations;
- Bridge the gap between generations and;
- Develop ways to find balance between the Pacific Islanders cultures and the mainstream Australian culture.
The Alliance is currently run by Pacific Islander women who have volunteered their time to create the women’s group. Many are employed in services for the wider community and are also involved in their individual Pacific Islander (PI) cultural communities. The 2017/18 PWA Annual General Meeting saw the following individuals take on the respective positions:
President: Lima Hopoate
Vice-President: Nola Rasmussen
Secretary: Heena Akbar
Treasurer: Iree Chow
Committee members: Fele’unga Folau Tupou, Uo Alaalatoa Brown, Heena akbar, Wanita Limpus, Irene Bayldon Tavutavu, Violet Langan, Malo Tutoatasi Semaia & Nicole Alexander
Regional Representatives: Lina Mountfort (Bundaberg), Kila Xavier (Toowoomba)
We thank these ladies for volunteering their time to the Pasifika Women’s Alliance and our Pasifika community.